Essay - The Hazards of Movie going

The Hazards of Movie going

Practical Centre Essays on "The Hazards of Movie going"

I am a movie fanatic. My friends count on me to know movie trivia and to remember every big Oscar awarded, since I was in school. My friends, though, have stopped asking me if I want to go out to the movies. While I love movies as much as ever, the inconvenience of going out, the temptations of the concession stand, and the behaviour of some patrons are treasons for me to wait and rent the DVD.practicalcentre.blogspot.com
To begin with, I just don’t enjoy he general hassle of the evening. Since small local movie theaters are a thing of the past. I have to drive for fifteen minutes to get to the nearest multiplex. The parking lot is shared with several restaurants and a supermarket, so it’s always jammed. I have to drive around at a snail’s pace until I spot another driver backing out. Then it’s time to stand in an endless line, with the constant thereat that the tickets for the show will sell out. If we do get tickets, the theater will be so crowded that I won’t be able to sit with my friends, or we’ll have to sit in a front row gaping up at a giant screen. I have to shell out a ridiculous amount of money-up to PKR 100 - for a ticket. That entitles me to sit while my shoes seal themselves to a sticky floor coated with spilled soda, bubble gum, and crushed raisinets.
Second, the theater offers tempting snacks that I really don’t need. Like most of us, I have to battle an expanding waistline, At home I do pretty well by simply not buying stuff that is bad for me. As I try to persuade myself to just have a Diet Coke, the smell of fresh popcorn dripping with butter soon overcomes me. Chocolate bars the, size of small automobiles seem to jump into my hands. I risk pulling out my fillings as I chew enormous mouthfuls of Milk Duds. By the time I leave the theater, I feel disgusted with myself.
Many of the other patrons are even more of a problem than the concession stands. Little kids race up and down the aisles, usually in giggling packs. Teenagers try to impress their friends by talking back to the screen, whistling, and making what they consider to be hilarious noises. Adults act as if they were at home in their own living room. They comment loudly on the ages of the stars and reveal plot twists that are supposed to be a secret until the film’s end. And people of all ages create distractions. They crinkle candy wrappers, stick gum on their seats, and drop popcorn tubs or cups of crushed ice and soda on the floor. They also cough and burp, squirm endlessly in their seats, file out for repeated trips to the restrooms or concession stands, and elbow me out of the armrest on either side of my seat.
After arriving home from the movies one night, I decided that I was not going to be moviegoer any more. I was tired of the problems involved in getting to the theater, resisting unhealthy snacks, and dealing with the patrons. The next day, I arranged to have premium over channels added to my cable TV service, and I also got a Net cable membership. I may now see movies a bit later than other people, but I’ll be more relaxed watching box office hits in the comfort of my own living room.
Next Post Previous Post